Tenure-track Assistant Professorship in Sociology specializing in Social Data Science/Digital Sociology
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Copenhagen, wishes to strengthen our research and teaching capacity in the area of Social Data Science/Digital Sociology and invites applications for a position as Assistant Professor in Sociology. The position is available from February 1st, 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Appointment as Assistant Professor requires as successfully completed Ph.D in Sociology or closely related discipline.
Emphasis will be put on the applicant’s qualifications in relation to:
- The potential to develop and consolidate a strong research profile, including publications in leading international, peer-reviewed journals, possibly supplemented with research monographs with high ranking academic publishers
- The potential to deliver high quality teaching and contribute to the Department’s ambition to develop a strong teaching capacity in Social Data Science/Digital Sociology
- The potential to support the department’s ambition to strengthen its international standing and outreach through participation in international networks and international research collaboration
- The potential to engage in research dissemination to the public and relevant stakeholders
- The ability to contribute to the development of the department’s different study programmes
- The ability to engage in inter-disciplinary research and teaching in collaboration with other departments at the Faculty of Social Science and beyond at the University of Copenhagen
General duties attached to the position as Assistant Professor are:
- Research within the field of Social Data Science/Digital Sociology
- Teaching, supervision and examination of undergraduate and Master level students
- Participation in the development of interdisciplinary research and teaching related to digitalization of society/social data science at the Faculty of Social Science and beyond at the University of Copenhagen.
- Participation in the Faculty of Social Science ‘Teaching and Learning at Higher Education Programme’ for assistant professors
- Knowledge sharing with the rest of the society
An assistant professorship is a further-education post. Supervision as well pedagogical training is provided. The position will be covered by the tenure track programme at the University of Copenhagen. The programme offers tenure-track candidates a contract of six years that can result in a tenured associate professorship. For additional information about assistant professorships, tenure-track assistant professorships and the Job Structure for Academic Staff at the University, see:
Profile of the applicant
Research and teaching in the department is methodologically and theoretically diverse, and we expect members of faculty to be able and willing to engage in intellectual exchanges across a range of topics in the discipline, and to be able and willing to teach a reasonably broad portfolio of courses at all levels.
The academic life of the department is organized around three broad thematic groups, and we wish to consolidate our strengths in those areas in the future. The groups are titled:
1. Welfare, inequality and mobility
2. Knowledge, organization and politics
3. Culture and civil society
Descriptions of the groups as well as their current members can be seen at the department’s webpage.
Applicants are encouraged to reflect in their applications on how their research can contribute constructively to future development and consolidation of one or more of the research groups and the profile of the department in general.
For the present position, we are looking for a candidate, who is able to engage his or her knowledge in Social Data Science/Digital Sociology in dialogue with a broad range of topics in the discipline of Sociology. The ideal candidate combines core competences in Sociology with computational skills related to various types of digital data. The candidate is expected to participate actively in the development of the activities in the Faculty-wide Copenhagen Center for Social Data Science (https://sodas.ku.dk/).
Conditions of employment
Terms of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The annual salary as Assistant Professor is within the range DKR 392,000 – 413,000 (EUR 52,600 – 55,400 app.). In addition to the salary paid directly, the University will also pay a monthly contribution to the pension fund corresponding to 17.1 % of the salary. Negotiation for additional supplements will be possible. A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited from abroad, see https://ism.ku.dk/onarrival/taxes/
Applications must be written in English and must include the following information and documentation:
- A full CV, including name, address, telephone number, e-mail, previous and present employment and academic background including a record of research and international research cooperation.
- A complete and numbered list of publications. The publications enclosed in the application that the applicant would like the assessment committee to consider should be marked with an asterisk (*).
- The marked publications (maximum 6) must be uploaded in the application.
- Documentation of teaching experience and evaluation, supervisory activities and pedagogical training (if any).
- Documentation of the ability to disseminate information to and share knowledge with society at large (if available).
If publications marked by an asterisk (*) are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of the applicant’s contribution to each individual work must be clarified in the application, and if possible, a declaration from the co-authors or the head of the institution or office at which the work was completed should be enclosed as well.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, applicants are selected for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are notified whether their application has been passed for assessment by an expert assessment committee. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/
The University of Copenhagen wishes to encourage everyone interested in the positions to apply, regardless of personal background.
Head of Department, Janus Hansen, will be present at the job fair at the 2018 ASA conference in Philadelphia for inquiries about the position.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for prior appointments.
Information about the Department can be found at
The deadline for applications including enclosures is 1 November 2018 (at Midnight 23:59 Danish Time).
Please note: Applications must be submitted and documents must be uploaded online. Press “Apply now” and fill in the application form. Applications received after deadline will not be taken into account.
Publication Date: 03.07.2018
Expiration Date: 01.02.2019